Eagle Rock valley inhabited by Tongva people. (later known as Gabrielinos) Speakers of a Uto-Aztecan language, they slowly displaced earlier native groups.
San Gabriel Mission established.
Jose Maria Verdugo (Berdugo) received from Governor Pedro Fages a grant of 36,403 acres west of Arroyo Hondo (Seco) for stock raising and ranching. Verdugo was a soldier or guard at the San Gabriel Mission.(RS) (GAH)
Verdugo retired from the army and settled on his land.(RS)
Govenor Borica confirms Corporal Verdugo’s title to the Rancho San Rafael. He proceeds to establish himself as a rancher on a domain of 36,400 acres. (GAH)
Transfer of Sovereignty from Spain to Mexico
Jose Maria Verdugo wills his Rancho San Rafael to Julio and Catalina Verdugo, two of his (?) children. (GAH)
Jose Maria Verdugo dies and title to the Rancho San Rafael passes to Julio and Catalina Verdugo jointly. (GAH)
The pre-surrender conference of the Californios fighting the occupation of California by the Americans takes place under the Pico Oak in Verdugo Canyon. Formal surrender to American forces under the command of Fremont takes place at Casa de Cahuenga, January 13. (GAH)
California is admitted to the Union.
The United States Board of Land Commissioners is created to investigate, survey and pass on land titles in California. They confirm the title of the Verdugos to the Rancho San Rafael, consisting of an acreage of over 36,000, but the patent to the land is not issued until 1882. (GAH)
The Rancho is partitioned between Julio and Catalina Verdugo. (GAH) Julio Verdugo mortgaged his share of the Rancho San Rafael (which he received from his father in 1831, “with the blessing of God” for $3,445.37. Eight years later thanks to interest charges of 3% a month, the original debt had increased to $58,750 and Don Julio was virtually a landless man. (Cleland)
After six years of suit and counter-suit, the Rancho passed from the Verdugo family, at a foreclosure sale, into ownership of Alfred Beck Chapman for $58,750 plus interest – the amount owed by Julio on the mortgage. Chapman quit-claimed to Julio Verdugo 2000 acres surrounding an adobe built by Verdugo (Portosuelo). (RS)(GAH)
The Great Partition : because of years of improperly handled land conveyances and lack of exact descriptions, it became necessary for the court to appoint referees to clarify the titles to all parcels within the boundaries of the Rancho San Rafael sold by the Verdugos. After surveying and adjudications, only small fragments remain in the hands of the Verdugo descendents. The largest allotment by the referees went to Benjamin Dreyfuss of Anaheim (this included most of Eagle Rock). The Verdugo family receives back over 4,200 acres. These clarified land titles allowed for further development in the area. (GAH)
A Mexican named Dominguez Built first Adobe house not far from the base of the Rock. An American named Stewart bought it. (RS)
New ownership of the former Rancho San Rafael and Rancho La Canada mapped. West and South Eagle Rock owned by Benjamin Dreyfus. Eagle Rock area purchased by Benjamin Deyfus as part of 8000 acres including Tropico. He was a vintner and intended to plant the area in grapes. His hopes were dashed by the phloxera epidemic (HW) Prudent Beaudry owns the area between what is now Loleta Avenue and the west side side of the Arroyo Seco.
Austrian Archduke Ludwig Louis Salvator visits Eagle Rock valley, Draws first picture of the Eagle Rock.
Watts subdivision of the part of Eagle Rock and other areas ownde by Glassell and Chapman.
A. R. Campbell-Johnston purchases the Beaudry Tract as well as the part of the Rancho San Pascual, which lay west of the Arroyo Seco. The western boundry was Peyton Ave. (now Loleta Ave.) The street was named after A.W.H. Peyton the steward of the Campbell –Johnston Ranch for several years.
First School opens in a barn donated by Milton Brown (later known as Cromwell Galpin’s barn) on Eagle Rock Blvd near Addison Way, 17 pupils, First teacher Lida Hutchins. (RS) The following year Miss Augusta Stevens becomes the teacher. She moved the school to her own house.
The Campbell-Johnstons subdivide the Rockdale Tract.
December. Railroad constructed to Eagle Rock from Ave 20 & Pasadena Ave by Ralph Rodgers Service lasted 10 days
First Church of Christ Congregational Incorporated
Eagle Rock awoke to find its railroad had been removed by a crew of 110 men on the weekend to avoid their enjoining its removal
The congregation had outgrown the school building and plans were made to build the Mission style clapboard church. With gifts of labor and money the “Little Brown Church in the Vale” near Castle and Eagle Rock Road (now Caspar and Colorado Blvd.) was built. (RS) (1902 ?)
Eagle Rock 20th Century Women’s Club founded
Sunset Telephone Co begins service
City of Glendale incorporates setting the western border of the area which would become Eagle Rock City.
Eagle Rock Water Company established
L.A. Railway opened to Townsend and Colorado, via Eagle Rock and Colorado Blvd.
St. Barnabas Church first Episcopal service
Eagle Rock Methodist Church chartered
Murfield block (Eagle Rock’s first commercial block) built on corner of Townsend and Colorado (now Tritch Hardware)
Eagle Rock Bank founded located in the Murfield Block. Robert Henry Brown, President; Fred E. Biles, Cashier.
Gas mains laid into Eagle Rock ata a cost of $30,000 by the Los Angeles Gas and Electric Co.
Glendale and Eagle Rock railway opens. Known later as “the Dinky” or the “Galloping Goose” for its single truck cars which were unstable on hills and bumps.
Rev. J. M. Spangler purchased the vacant Congregational Church building for $1,300.
It was remodeled in craftsman style for the Methodist Church congregation.
Eagle Rock Valley Improvement League founded.
Construction begins on the Congregational Church (The Church of the Good Shepherd), known as the Bungalow Church.
First issue of the Eagle Rock Sentinel. Publisher, Franklin O. Schroeder was 18 at the time.
First issue of Eagle Rock Sentinel. Publishers Otto and son , Franklin Schroeder
Construction of the new Eagle Rock park begins by “Huntington interests” the Eagle Rock avenue car line will be extended to the new park.(S)
Eagle Rock was selected as the site of the initial outing of the American Boy Scouts of Southern California. William Randolph Hearst started the Scout movement in the United States three months earlier. “The foothills of Eagle Rock were selected because of ideal conditions for Scouting games and the highly favorable conditions for the study of nature in her best attire”(ERS) Commander C. de Vidal-Hundt, an Eagle Rock resident was in charge of the expedition.
“Means Many Changes Here” Land in the ER canyon extending all the way to the Eagle Rock was purchased by the LA Railway Company, under instigation of Henry E. Huntington. “An effort was made to buy Eagle Rock itself, but the Campbell-Johnstons, to whom it belongs, absolutely refused to consider letting it go at any price.”(Los Angeles Times)
Women gain the vote in California
Eagle Rock City was incorporated as a city of the 6th class. The vote was 72 to 57. The approximate total population was 600. John T. Bailey elected Mayor, March 6.
Eagle Rock Sentinel sold to H.L. Miller
Eagle Rock Board of Trade founded. Godfrey Edwards, W. Werden, W.D. Roth, George Diddock, D Hollingsworth, W.P. Patten, and George S. Dore were named directors. The body did not function long and was succeeded by the Goodfellows Club, which was quite active in 1912 and 1913. In Oct. 1913 a movement for a Chamber of Commerce began. The Goodfellows Club met and voted to dissolve and all join the Chamber.
First post Office opened in Eagle Rock Drug Store, W.E. Bruce Postmaster. (RS)
George E. Cox elected Mayor
Occidental College, Eagle Rock campus construction began
St. Barnabas First Church built (Norwalk & Ellenwood)
Henry E. Needham elected Mayor
First City US Mail delivery. Postman was J. Drengberg
Eagle Rock Chamber of Commerce organized. 50 persons joined. Officers Orlando J. Root president; J.W. Eddy, A.D. Hitchcock, and E. Chandler, Vice Presidents; Howard C. Henderson, Secretary; Fred Biles, Treasurer; and John T. Bailey, H.C. Galloupe and B.E. Lewis, executive committee.
A committee of the Women’s 20th Century Club meets with a Chamber of Commerce committee and takes initial steps to secure a library. The Carnegie Foundation was contacted, resulting in an offer of $7500 for a building if assurances were given that it would be maintained.
Colorado Street Bridge opens to Pasadena
Pasadena annexes San Rafael Heights setting the Eastern border of the Annandale district.
First major lighting system for Colorado Blvd. installed
“Edison” power station built on land owned by Huntington Land Co. in the Rock canyon. The Eagle Rock Avenue (W car) line is extended to supply the materials for construction.
Eagle Rock float awarded the “Silver Cup” by the Tournament of Roses Association.
Cromwell Galpin elected Mayor
First Presbyterian Church of Eagle Rock established. Name changed from “Church of the Good Shepherd Congregational”. Col. Eddy was Chairman of Trustees. Rev Hoyt remained Pastor.
New buildings of Occidental College dedicated in Eagle Rock.
ER City election endorses the Library. Colorado Blvd and Rockland Ave was selected as the site. Mrs. Carrie Roberts, L.O. Hatch, W.L. Miller, Mrs. Blanche Gardiner, and Godfrey Edwards were elected to the Board of Trustees. Arrangements were made for a temporary County library in the dry goods store of Miss Alice Swan, which opened on August 7. After bidding a construction contract was let to T.H. Addison for $6840.
Contract awarded to the Edwards and Wildey Co for construction of the Women’s 20th Century Clubhouse
First Methodist Episcopal Church (remodel) dedicated.
Cornerstone laid for the Women’s 20th Century Clubhouse.
Women’s 20th Century clubhouse opens.
Capt. James S. France elected Mayor
First Eagle Rock Carnegie library opens. W.E. Kleinpell was the architect, T.H. Addison was the contractor. Mrs. Blanche Gardiner was the first Librarian. A board of five members, W.J. Cook, J.C. Shedd, H.H. Maxson, Mrs. C.W. Young, and Mrs. Ruth Shearin supervised the library.
Presbyterian Church building finished
Troop 1 Chartered. First public meeting held September 7. Rollin Mc Nitt was the Scoutmaster; Fred J. Truman was the Assistant. There were two patrols.
First Eagle Rock Carnegie Library opens (corner of Colorado and Rockland). Mr. Charles Lummis, head of the Southwest Museum, gave an address. Local citizens donated 600 books.
Eagle Rock Citizens vote to spend $65,000 on school buildings.
Chamber of Commerce Brochure cites $200,000 in building permits.
Chamber of Commerce Brochure statistics. L.A. Railway runs every 8 to 20 minutes — 30 minutes to L.A. Population: 1850, Assessed valuation $2 million. $200,000 in city public works expenditures. Altitude 65 to 100 feet; rainfall 19.21 inches.
Occidental Addition annexed to the City of Los Angeles. This included the area of Occidental college but extended all the way to San Fernando Rd.
Eagle Rock Water Company purchased by the City of Eagle Rock
First Easter Sunrise Service held at the “Rock”
First outdoor theatre built at the end of Norwalk Ave. under a grove of Eucalyptus. It ran for about 4 years under the direction of Mrs. Elizabeth C. Miller. Mrs. Miller had a summer theatre in 1920 in her own back yard.
First Catholic Mass was said in the home of A. Klein when a congregation of 17 persons assembled.
Robert Abbot elected Mayor
Theodore Kothen Post American Legion founded under Commander Bessolo.
(Approximate date) A circular pavilion (nicknamed “The Merry-Go-Round”) was built in the center at the intersection of Colorado and Eagle Rock Blvd. This structure was to shelter and protect streetcar travelers.
First Eagle Rock Post Office built (location not known)
City Hall and Fire Station Built
St. Dominic’s Parish established. 2 lots were purchased on Merton Ave. A Tent was used the chapel until a wooden structure could be built.
Lot purchased and Caretakers cottage built by 20th Century Club
Eagle Rock City Hall rededicated by Art Snyder after refurbishing at the urging of the Eagle Rock Valley Historical Society
Eagle Rock City Hall opened (in operation today)
Union High School built Verdugo & Broadway (now Glendale High)
First Church of Christ Scientist of Eagle Rock founded. Upon annexation of Eagle Rock to Los Angeles the church became the 16th Church of Christ Scientist.
Eagle Rock Christian Church (Eagle Rock Church of Christ) founded
Sherrill B. Osborne elected Mayor
Board of Trustees:
Sherrill B. Osborne, Mayor presiding
Elmer M. Bergsvick
George C. Mattison
Benjamin B. Martsolf, City Clerk
A tent meeting on the northwest corner of Eagle Rock and Colorado Blvds by a small group of Seventh Day Adventists results in a congregation large enough to require a church building. A large wooden tabernacle was built on Merton Ave.
Eagle Rock Business & Professional Women’s Club organized by Dr. Mary Le Clere.
First Easter Sunrise service at the Rock, 2nd in the country
An earthquake dislodges a piece of the face of the Eagle Rock over the eagle’s right wing. (GAH)
Solheim Lutheran Home opens
Dedication of the new building of St. Barnabas Episcopal Church.
Tuesday, March 27 Eagle Rock voted for Annexation to the City of Los Angeles by a Majority of 297 votes. 1,917 citizens voted. Lewis B Reed, 99 years old, was brought to the polls in an automobile and was cheered as he stepped from the machine.(RS)
Engine Station #42 was opened on Colorado Blvd. replacing the volunteer force. The building cost $8000.
Eagle Rock Annexed to Los Angeles (due to need for a high school, more water and sewers). The library comes under the jurisdiction of the LA City Library system.
Annandale addition to the City of LA. This included the Rockdale and Figueroa St. areas
Eagle Rock Kiwanis founded.
Market constructed at Yosemite and Townsend in the Happyland district by P.C. Blackmer
Loleta Ave named for Robert Cota’s sister Leota.
Eagle Rock Christian church building built on Ellenwood Dr.
The cornerstone was laid for the current Union Church on the Southeast corner of Colorado Blvd. and Maywood.
First issue of Eagle Rock Reporter. Publisher James Daley and sons, James Jr. & Max
Fire station company #55 completed on York Blvd. at a cost of $29.000.
First real church building completed by the Seventh Day Adventists.
J. S. Daley, sons J.S. Daley Jr. and Max O. Daley, publishers of the Eagle Rock Reporter, purchase the ER Sentinel. Name is changed for a time to the Reporter- Sentinel.
Councilman Edwin baker of Eagle Rock selected to set boundaries for the new 14th district created by the new city charter
Los Angeles Library Board allocates $33,000 to a complete remodeling of the ER Branch Library.
Isaac Colton Ash of Highland park elected councilman for 1925-26
Feb. 24. St. Dominic’s intermediate Catholic School dedicated.
Eagle Rock Lutheran Church organized with 14 members.
Argus Bowl built by Mr. and Mrs. J.E. Argus
Eagle Rock Community Church founded by Rev. Andrew Johnson
Electric power lines constructed to the Silverwood hills, Happyland district, and the new $500,000 Eagle Rock High School
New Library constructed using some foundations from the from the old library
William G. Bonelli, an Occidental College professor, elected to L.A. City Council 27-28
New Foursquare Church opens at 1550 Colorado Blvd. Presided over by Rev. Marion A. Coffey
Natural gas turned on into Eagle Rock mains.
Eagle Rock Baptist Church formally organized. Dr. Herbert G. Tovey was called as the first pastor. Construction of the mission style church commenced on July 31st. Miss Lena Miller turned the first spade of earth.
Lutheran Church dedicated
Eagle Rock Community Church founded (1649 Yosemite Drive)
Nana King Custer Bethel #43 Job’s Daughters was granted a charter with 35 girls
Eagle Rock High School opened with 690 pupils
First issue of the Eagle Rock Advertiser
Electric lights to be installed on Colorado Blvd.
Lutheran Church parish hall built
Charles Alfred Holland elected to L.A. City Council 29-30
Charles A. Holland elected to L.A. City Council 29-30
Yosemite theater opens with talking pictures. The picture shown was “The Younger Generation” with Jean Hersholt.
In the early 30’s, as automobile traffic became heavier, drivers disliked maneuvering around the pavilion. Later, during water pipe construction, a bulldozer accidentally crushed the roof. Town officials decided to remove, rather than repair the structure. It was necessary to use dynamite to break up the cement floor. Nearby merchants did very little business during the dismantling.
California History and Landmarks Section of the 20th Century Club founded by Mrs. C.W. Young
Robert Cota reports seeing Chinese troops at shooting range in Glenoaks [now Scholl] canyon. Misses were being credited as bullseyes.
Robert Cota reports that the Eagle Rock city dump was located in a ravine between Loleta & Hartwick just below Hill
Joe Eastwood purchases Eagle Rock Sentinel
Edward L Thrasher elected to L.A. City Council 31-32
Glendale & Montrose Railroad “dinkey” car service discontinued at midnight
Methodist Church and United Church of Christ (Congergational) merge to form the United Church of Eagle Rock. Dr. E.A. Palmer was the first pastor of the newly merged church
La Paloma performed as part of the Olympiad Celebrations
Harry A. Lawson and son, D.H. Lawson purchase Eagle Rock Sentinel
Edward L Thrasher elected to L.A. City Council 33-34
Wynn Chevrolet opens larger quarters at 2254 Colorado Blvd.
Pioneer Market opens at 1570-72-74 Colorado Blvd.
Edward L. Thrasher elected to L.A. City Council 35-36
Mrs. Martin Bekins dies. The wife of Martin Bekins founder of Bekins Van and Storage Co. (founded 1895) lived in a beautiful home at 1550 Hill Drive. The home was later sold to Mr. and Mrs. Bill Lane.
Colorado Blvd and Eagle Rock Blvd part of Route 66.
Bungalow Church moves to Colorado Blvd. and remodeled as Foursquare Gospel Church
Eagle Rock Community Church becomes Eagle Rock Community Covenant Church (1649 Yosemite Dr.) Rev. Arvid Carlson was the first Covenant pastor.
Edward L. Thrasher elected to L. A, City Council 37-38
Safeway store erected at 1808 Colorado Blvd.
Edward L. Thrasher elected to L. A, City Council 39-40
Eagle Rock’s last Rose Parade float
Edward L. Thrasher elected to L. A, City Council 41-42
John C. Holland elected to L.A. City Council 43-44
Army Mustang warplane crashes in Eagle Rock killing the pilot (LAT) Location was Las Flores and Rockland (Bill Clancy)
John C. Holland elected to L.A. City Council 45-46
John C. Holland elected to L.A. City Council 47-48
Stimson’s Lemon Ranch at east end of Valley was subdivided
Streetcar service cut back to Eagle Rock and Colorado from Townsend.
Boulevard renovations completed between Eagle Rock and Townsend removing trolley tracks.
John C. Holland elected to L.A. City Council 49-50
Eagle Rock Advertiser ceases publication with Volume #23 Issue #8.
John C. Holland elected to L.A. City Council 51-52
John C. Holland elected to L.A. City Council 53-54
The Eagle Rock Reservoir, built on the San Rafael Hills, was dedicated
New Colorado Bridge opens over the Arroyo Seco. Cost $6,400,000.
Eagle Rock Recreation Center Clubhouse opened. The Clubhouse was designed by Richard Neutra one of America’s most distinguished Architects
John C. Holland elected to LA City Council 55-58
Casa Bianca Pizza opens
Bus takes place of streetcar on Eagle Rock line to Eagle Rock and Colorado.
Eagle Rock Sentinel purchased by Northeast Newspapers publisher Oran W. Asa and combined with Eagle Rock News Herald, which was started several years prior. Harry Lawson remains Editor.
Martha Washington Restaurant sold to Attorneys Richard Saulque and Henry Dally who are re –naming it The Barristers Inn.
Davis Pharmacy opens at 2200 Colorado Blvd. (at Eagle Rock Blvd) Replaces the Bank of America.
Seventh Day Adventist Church completed on Merton Ave. under the leadership of Rev. Elder Lewis Langworthy
John C. Holland elected to L.A. City Council 69-62
Occidental College begins work on Chillcott Hall women’s residence. Later in the year construction begins on Willis H. Booth Music and Speech Center.
Construction begins on Eagle Rock Recreation Center playground improvements. The original design was by noted landscape designer, Garret Eckbo. These improvements cost $150,000 raising the overall expenditure for the park to $465,000 (ERS)
L.A. County Supervisors vote 5-0 for the Scholl Canyon dump plan. Glendale and the County split the fees. Use is dedicated to recreation for Glendale. Access road to be built through the area known as Eagle Rock Park.
New fire station #42 completed on Colorado Blvd. Replaces old station, which was attached to the Eagle Rock City Hall.
March of Progress Parade celebrates Eagle Rocks’ 50th anniversary.
Eagle Rock Blvd. made a State Highway
Eagle Rock Valley Historical Society (ERVHS) organized
It was reported that all Eagle Rock schools were teaching the “Legend of the Rock.”
The Eagle Rock Declared Los Angeles Historic Cultural Monument #10
Oil painting of the Eagle Rock by Jennie C. Brayton presented to the Eagle Rock Library by the people of Eagle Rock. The painting is presently displayed in the Community room.
“Friends of the Eagle Rock Library” organized
Construction begins on California Federal Savings office building on Eagle Rock Blvd.
John C. Holland elected to L.A. City Council 63-66
Fire in the hills above Hill Dr. destroys many homes near Dahlia Dr.
Rumford Fair Housing Bill passes desegregating all housing sales in California
Arthur K. Snyder elected to L.A. City Council 67-71
Eagle Rock¹s City Hall was declared Los Angeles Historic-Cultural Monument #59
134 Freeway opened bypassing Colorado Blvd the previous highway route.
Arthur K. Snyder elected to L.A. City Council 71-75
City Hall rededicated by Art Snyder, after refurbishing at the urging of the ERVHS
Earthquake destroys or renders unsafe many masonry buildings. Presbyterian church demolished as a result.
14th District redrawn to crete a “Hispanic district” and in response to the 1970 census.
Arthur K. Snyder wins recall election for the 14th district L.A. City Council seat.
Eagle Rock Plaza opens
Arthur K. Snyder elected to L.A. City Council 75-79
2 Freeway opens from the 5 to the 210
Arthur K. Snyder elected to L.A. City Council 79-83
Old Library closed because of non-conformity to code; New Library opens (5027 Caspar Ave.)
Arthur K. Snyder elected to L.A. City Council 83-87
14th District redrawn in response to the 1980 census
Arthur K. Snyder narrowly avoind runoff election against Steve Rodriguez in a recall election for the 14th district L.A. City Council seat
TERA, The Eagle Rock Association founded
Old Library declared a City Cultural Historical Landmark
Arthur K. Snyder resigns from L.A. City Council
Richard Alatorre elected to L.A. City Council remainder of term 85-87. Vacancy created by Snyder’s resignation.
In response to the threatened destruction of the historic business buildings at the corner of Townsend and Colorado. Kathleen Aberman stands on the building’s roof in an attempt to ward off the surprise demolition by the owner. The present brick faced mini mall subsequently replaced these buildings.
Richard Alatorre elected to LA City Council 87-91
Old Library placed on the National Register Of Historic Places
Citywide mini mall moratorium adapted with building on rear lot line as definition of mini mall
Specific Plan Advisory Committee appointed by Councilman to advise on the writing of the plan by City Planning and the Council Office.
Richard Alatorre elected to L.A. City Council 91-95
Northeast Newspapers sold by Oran Asa to Community Media Enterprises
Colorado Blvd Specific Plan passed and adopted by City Council
City Hall rededicated after seismic upgrade. Historic paint scheme was replicated. Historical Society Museum moves to a room at the rear of the lower floor community events room.
Richard Alatorre elected to L.A. City Council 95-99
Last issue of the Eagle Rock Sentinel
The front half of the Eagle Rock purchased by the City for $669,000
Former Eagle Rock Branch Library rededicated after seismic upgrade as Eagle Rock Community Cultural Center
Eagle Rock Snapshot Day
Nick Pacheco elected to L.A. City Council 99-03
Eagle Rock Neighborhood Council formed. Boundaries set for Eagle Rock Neighborhood, they were the largest configuration for Eagle Rock ever.
Antonio Villaraigosa elected to L.A. City Council 03-07
Jose Huizar elected to L.A. City council 05-07 to fill vacancy created by Villariagosa’s election as Mayor