Home Calendar A Mystery Photo Gallery Notable Eagle Rock People Time Line Notes & Links Contact Us
Important Dates Short History
Important Dates in Eagle Rock History


  Eagle Rock valley inhabited by Tongva people. (later known as Gabrielinos) Speakers of a Uto-Aztecan language, they slowly displaced earlier native groups.
1771 San Gabriel Mission established.
1784 Jose Maria Verdugo (Berdugo) received from Governor Pedro Fages a grant of 36,403 acres west of Arroyo Hondo (Seco) for stock raising and ranching. Verdugo was a soldier or guard at the San Gabriel Mission.(RS) (GAH)
1790 Verdugo retired from the army and settled on his land.(RS)
1/12/1798 Govenor Borica confirms Corporal Verdugo's title to the Rancho San Rafael. He proceeds to establish himself as a rancher on a domain of 36,400 acres. (GAH)
1821 Transfer of Sovereignty from Spain to Mexico
8/23/1828 Jose Maria Verdugo wills his Rancho San Rafael to Julio and Catalina Verdugo, two of his (?) children. (GAH)
4/12/1831 Jose Maria Verdugo dies and title to the Rancho San Rafael passes to Julio and Catalina Verdugo jointly. (GAH)
1/11/1847 The pre-surrender conference of the Californios fighting the occupation of California by the Americans takes place under the Pico Oak in Verdugo Canyon. Formal surrender to American forces under the command of Fremont takes place at Casa de Cahuenga, January 13. (GAH)
1850 California is admitted to the Union.
1851 The United States Board of Land Commissioners is created to investigate, survey and pass on land titles in California. They confirm the title of the Verdugos to the Rancho San Rafael, consisting of an acreage of over 36,000, but the patent to the land is not issued until 1882. (GAH)
1861 The Rancho is partitioned between Julio and Catalina Verdugo. (GAH) Julio Verdugo mortgaged his share of the Rancho San Rafael (which he received from his father in 1831, "with the blessing of God" for $3,445.37. Eight years later thanks to interest charges of 3% a month, the original debt had increased to $58,750 and Don Julio was virtually a landless man. (Cleland)
3/8/1869 After six years of suit and counter-suit, the Rancho passed from the Verdugo family, at a foreclosure sale, into ownership of Alfred Beck Chapman for $58,750 plus interest - the amount owed by Julio on the mortgage. Chapman quit-claimed to Julio Verdugo 2000 acres surrounding an adobe built by Verdugo (Portosuelo). (RS)(GAH)
1870 The Great Partition : because of years of improperly handled land conveyances and lack of exact descriptions, it became necessary for the court to appoint referees to clarify the titles to all parcels within the boundaries of the Rancho San Rafael sold by the Verdugos. After surveying and adjudications, only small fragments remain in the hands of the Verdugo descendents. The largest allotment by the referees went to Benjamin Dreyfuss of Anaheim (this included most of Eagle Rock). The Verdugo family receives back over 4,200 acres. These clarified land titles allowed for further development in the area. (GAH)
1870 A Mexican named Dominguez Built first Adobe house not far from the base of the Rock. An American named Stewart bought it. (RS)
1871 New ownership of the former Rancho San Rafael and Rancho La Canada mapped. West and South Eagle Rock owned by Benjamin Dreyfus. Eagle Rock area purchased by Benjamin Deyfus as part of 8000 acres including Tropico. He was a vintner and intended to plant the area in grapes. His hopes were dashed by the phloxera epidemic (HW) Prudent Beaudry owns the area between what is now Loleta Avenue and the west side side of the Arroyo Seco.
1876 Austrian Archduke Ludwig Louis Salvator visits Eagle Rock valley, Draws first picture of the Eagle Rock.
1879 Watts subdivision of the part of Eagle Rock and other areas ownde by Glassell and Chapman.
1883 A. R. Campbell-Johnston purchases the Beaudry Tract as well as the part of the Rancho San Pascual, which lay west of the Arroyo Seco. The western boundry was Peyton Ave. (now Loleta Ave.) The street was named after A.W.H. Peyton the steward of the Campbell –Johnston Ranch for several years.
1884 First School opens in a barn donated by Milton Brown (later known as Cromwell Galpin's barn) on Eagle Rock Blvd near Addison Way, 17 pupils, First teacher Lida Hutchins. (RS)  The following year Miss Augusta Stevens becomes the teacher. She moved the school to her own house.
1886 The Campbell-Johnstons subdivide the Rockdale Tract.
7/1/1887 First Church of Christ Congregational Incorporated
1887 December. Railroad constructed to Eagle Rock from Ave 20 & Pasadena Ave by Ralph Rodgers Service lasted 10 days
4/15/1889 Eagle Rock awoke to find its railroad had been removed by a crew of 110 men on the weekend to avoid their enjoining its removal
1898 The congregation had outgrown the school building and plans were made to build the Mission style clapboard church.  With gifts of labor and money the "Little Brown Church in the Vale" near Castle and Eagle Rock Road (now Caspar and Colorado Blvd.) was built. (RS) (1902 ?)
2/25/1903 Eagle Rock 20th Century Women’s Club founded
1904 Sunset Telephone Co begins service
1906 City of Glendale incorporates setting the western border of the area which would become Eagle Rock City.
1906 Eagle Rock Water Company established
1906 L.A. Railway opened to Townsend and Colorado, via Eagle Rock and Colorado Blvd.
1906 St. Barnabas Church first Episcopal service
1906 Eagle Rock Methodist Church chartered
1907 Murfield block (Eagle Rock's first commercial block) built on corner of Townsend and Colorado (now Tritch Hardware)
1907 Eagle Rock Bank founded located in the Murfield Block. Robert Henry Brown, President; Fred E. Biles, Cashier.
3/13/1909 Glendale and Eagle Rock railway opens. Known later as “the Dinky” or the "Galloping Goose" for its single truck cars which were unstable on hills and bumps.
1910 Rev. J. M. Spangler purchased the vacant Congregational Church building for $1,300.
It was remodeled in craftsman style for the Methodist Church congregation.
1910 Eagle Rock Valley Improvement League founded.
2/21/1910 Construction begins on the Congregational Church (The Church of the Good Shepherd), known as the Bungalow Church.
3/9/1910 First issue of the Eagle Rock Sentinel. Publisher, Franklin O. Schroeder was 18 at the time.
3/16/1910
Gas mains laid into Eagle Rock ata a cost of $30,000 by the Los Angeles Gas and Electric Co.
3/9/1910 First issue of Eagle Rock Sentinel. Publishers Otto and son , Franklin Schroeder
4/15/1910 Construction of the new Eagle Rock park begins by "Huntington interests" the Eagle Rock avenue car line will be extended to the new park.(S)
8/20/1910 Eagle Rock was selected as the site of the initial outing of the American Boy Scouts of Southern California. William Randolph Hearst started the Scout movement in the United States three months earlier.  "The foothills of Eagle Rock were selected because of ideal conditions for Scouting games and the highly favorable conditions for the study of nature in her best attire"(ERS) Commander C. de Vidal-Hundt, an Eagle Rock resident was in charge of the expedition.
8/25/1910 "Means Many Changes Here" Land in the ER canyon extending all the way to the Eagle Rock was purchased by the LA Railway Company, under instigation of Henry E. Huntington. "An effort was made to buy Eagle Rock itself, but the Campbell-Johnstons, to whom it belongs, absolutely refused to consider letting it go at any price."(Los Angeles Times)
1911 Women gain the vote in California
3/1/1911 Eagle Rock City was incorporated as a city of the 6th class. The vote was 72 to 57. The approximate total population was 600. John T. Bailey elected Mayor, March 6.
  • First Board of Trustees:
  • John T. Bailey, Mayor presiding
  • James S. Pittman, City Clerk
  • William Keene Cowan
  • Charles W. Young
  • James Kincheloe
  • Wallace E. Bruce
5/3/1911 Eagle Rock Sentinel sold to H.L. Miller
7/14/1911 Eagle Rock Board of Trade founded. Godfrey Edwards, W. Werden, W.D. Roth, George Diddock, D Hollingsworth, W.P. Patten, and George S. Dore were named directors. The body did not function long and was succeeded by the Goodfellows Club, which was quite active in 1912 and 1913. In Oct. 1913 a movement for a Chamber of Commerce began. The Goodfellows Club met and voted to dissolve and all join the Chamber.
1912 First post Office opened in Eagle Rock Drug Store, W.E. Bruce Postmaster. (RS)
3/3/1912 George E. Cox elected Mayor
1913 Occidental College, Eagle Rock campus construction began
1913 St. Barnabas First Church built (Norwalk & Ellenwood)
3/1913 Henry E. Needham elected Mayor
7/1/1913 First City US Mail delivery. Postman was J. Drengberg
10/31/1913 Eagle Rock Chamber of Commerce organized. 50 persons joined. Officers Orlando J. Root president; J.W. Eddy, A.D. Hitchcock, and E. Chandler, Vice Presidents; Howard C. Henderson, Secretary; Fred Biles, Treasurer; and John T. Bailey, H.C. Galloupe and B.E. Lewis, executive committee.
12/13/1913 Colorado Street Bridge opens to Pasadena
12/2/1913 A committee of the Women's 20th Century Club meets with a Chamber of Commerce committee and takes initial steps to secure a library. The Carnegie Foundation was contacted, resulting in an offer of $7500 for a building if assurances were given that it would be maintained.
1914 Pasadena annexes San Rafael Heights setting the Eastern border of the Annandale district.
1914 First major lighting system for Colorado Blvd. installed
1914 "Edison" power station built on land owned by Huntington Land Co. in the Rock canyon. The Eagle Rock Avenue (W car) line is extended to supply the materials for construction.
1/20/1914 Eagle Rock float awarded the "Silver Cup" by the Tournament of Roses Association.
3/1914 Cromwell Galpin elected Mayor
3/5/1914 First Presbyterian Church of Eagle Rock established. Name changed from “Church of the Good Shepherd Congregational”. Col. Eddy was Chairman of Trustees. Rev Hoyt remained Pastor.
3/11/1914 New buildings of Occidental College dedicated in Eagle Rock.
4/13/1914 ER City election endorses the Library. Colorado Blvd and Rockland Ave was selected as the site. Mrs. Carrie Roberts, L.O. Hatch, W.L. Miller, Mrs. Blanche Gardiner, and Godfrey Edwards were elected to the Board of Trustees. Arrangements were made for a temporary County library in the dry goods store of Miss Alice Swan, which opened on August 7. After bidding a construction contract was let to T.H. Addison for $6840.
9/14/1914 Contract awarded to the Edwards and Wildey Co for construction of the Women’s 20th Century Clubhouse
10/1914 First Methodist Episcopal Church (remodel) dedicated.
1/1915 Cornerstone laid for the Women's 20th Century Clubhouse.
2/1915 Women's 20th Century clubhouse opens.
3/1915 Capt. James S. France elected Mayor
3/31/1915 First Eagle Rock Carnegie library opens. W.E. Kleinpell was the architect, T.H. Addison was the contractor. Mrs. Blanche Gardiner was the first Librarian. A board of five members, W.J. Cook, J.C. Shedd, H.H. Maxson, Mrs. C.W. Young, and Mrs. Ruth Shearin supervised the library.
4/7/1915 Presbyterian Church building finished
9/1915 Troop 1 Chartered. First public meeting held September 7. Rollin Mc Nitt was the Scoutmaster; Fred J. Truman was the Assistant. There were two patrols.
9/25/1915 Eagle Rock Citizens vote to spend $65,000 on school buildings.
9/23/1915 First Eagle Rock Carnegie Library opens (corner of Colorado and Rockland). Mr. Charles Lummis, head of the Southwest Museum, gave an address. Local citizens donated 600 books.
1916 Chamber of Commerce Brochure cites $200,000 in building permits.
1916 Chamber of Commerce Brochure statistics. L.A. Railway runs every 8 to 20 minutes -- 30 minutes to L.A. Population: 1850, Assessed valuation $2 million. $200,000 in city public works expenditures. Altitude 65 to 100 feet; rainfall 19.21 inches.
6/14/1916 Occidental Addition annexed to the City of Los Angeles. This included the area of Occidental college but extended all the way to San Fernando Rd.
1917 Eagle Rock Water Company purchased by the City of Eagle Rock
4/8/1917 First Easter Sunrise Service held at the "Rock"
1919 First outdoor theatre built at the end of Norwalk Ave. under a grove of Eucalyptus. It ran for about 4 years under the direction of Mrs. Elizabeth C. Miller. Mrs. Miller had a summer theatre in 1920 in her own back yard.
1/1/1920 First Catholic Mass was said in the home of A. Klein when a congregation of 17 persons assembled.
3/1920 Robert Abbot elected Mayor
5/7/1920 Theodore Kothen Post American Legion founded under Commander Bessolo.
1921 (Approximate date) A circular pavilion (nicknamed "The Merry-Go-Round") was built in the center at the intersection of Colorado and Eagle Rock Blvd.  This structure was to shelter and protect streetcar travelers.
1921 First Eagle Rock Post Office built (location not known)
1921 City Hall and Fire Station Built
1921 St. Dominic's Parish established. 2 lots were purchased on Merton Ave. A Tent was used the chapel until a wooden structure could be built.
1921 Lot purchased and Caretakers cottage built by 20th Century Club
1922 Eagle Rock City Hall opened (in operation today)
1922 Union High School built Verdugo & Broadway (now Glendale High)
1922 First Church of Christ Scientist of Eagle Rock founded. Upon annexation of Eagle Rock to Los Angeles the church became the 16th Church of Christ Scientist.
2/2/1922 Eagle Rock Christian Church (Eagle Rock Church of Christ) founded
3/1922 Sherrill B. Osborne elected Mayor
Board of Trustees:
Sherrill B. Osborne, Mayor presiding
Elmer M. Bergsvick
H.B. Curtis
George C. Mattison
Jesse Taylor
Benjamin B. Martsolf, City Clerk
6/1922 A tent meeting on the northwest corner of Eagle Rock and Colorado Blvds by a small group of Seventh Day Adventists results in a congregation large enough to require a church building. A large wooden tabernacle was built on Merton Ave.
1923 Eagle Rock Business & Professional Women's Club organized by Dr. Mary Le Clere.
1923 First Easter Sunrise service at the Rock, 2nd in the country
1923 An earthquake dislodges a piece of the face of the Eagle Rock over the eagle's right wing. (GAH)
1923 Solheim Lutheran Home opens
1/1923 Dedication of the new building of St. Barnabas Episcopal Church.
3/27/1923 Tuesday, March 27 Eagle Rock voted for Annexation to the City of Los Angeles by a Majority of 297 votes. 1,917 citizens voted. Lewis B Reed, 99 years old, was brought to the polls in an automobile and was cheered as he stepped from the machine.(RS)
5/17/1923 Engine Station #42 was opened on Colorado Blvd. replacing the volunteer force. The building cost $8000.
5/18/1923 Eagle Rock Annexed to Los Angeles (due to need for a high school, more water and sewers). The library comes under the jurisdiction of the LA City Library system.
10/1923 Annandale addition to the City of LA. This included the Rockdale and Figueroa St. areas
12/7/1923 Eagle Rock Kiwanis founded.
1924 Market constructed at Yosemite and Townsend in the Happyland district by P.C. Blackmer
1924 Loleta Ave named for Robert Cota's sister Leota.
1924 Eagle Rock Christian church building built on Ellenwood Dr.
1924 The cornerstone was laid for the current Union Church on the Southeast corner of Colorado Blvd. and Maywood.
1/1924 First issue of Eagle Rock Reporter. Publisher James Daley and sons, James Jr. & Max
5/7/1924 Fire station company #55 completed on York Blvd. at a cost of $29.000.
9/6/1924 First real church building completed by the Seventh Day Adventists.
1925 J. S. Daley, sons J.S. Daley Jr. and Max O. Daley, publishers of the Eagle Rock Reporter, purchase the ER Sentinel. Name is changed for a time to the Reporter- Sentinel.
1925 Councilman Edwin baker of Eagle Rock selected to set boundaries for the new 14th district created by the new city charter
1925 Los Angeles Library Board allocates $33,000 to a complete remodeling of the ER Branch Library.
1925 Isaac Colton Ash of Highland park elected councilman for 1925-26
2/24/1925 Feb. 24. St. Dominic's intermediate Catholic School dedicated.
10/21/1925 Eagle Rock Lutheran Church organized with 14 members.
1926 Argus Bowl built by Mr. and Mrs. J.E. Argus
1926 Eagle Rock Community Church founded by Rev. Andrew Johnson
1927 Electric power lines constructed to the Silverwood hills, Happyland district, and the new $500,000 Eagle Rock High School
1927 New Library constructed using some foundations from the from the old library
1927 William G. Bonelli, an Occidental College professor,  elected to L.A. City Council 27-28
1/8/1927 New Foursquare Church opens at 1550 Colorado Blvd. Presided over by Rev. Marion A. Coffey
1/25/1927 Natural gas turned on into Eagle Rock mains.
4/1/1927 Eagle Rock Baptist Church formally organized. Dr. Herbert G. Tovey was called as the first pastor. Construction of the mission style church commenced on July 31st. Miss Lena Miller turned the first spade of earth.
7/10/1927 Lutheran Church dedicated
7/17/1927 Eagle Rock Community Church founded (1649 Yosemite Drive)
7/23/1927 Nana King Custer Bethel #43 Job's Daughters was granted a charter with 35 girls
9/1927 Eagle Rock High School opened with 690 pupils
1928 First issue of the Eagle Rock Advertiser
11/9/1928 Electric lights to be installed on Colorado Blvd.
1929 Lutheran Church parish hall built
1929 Charles Alfred Holland elected to L.A. City Council 29-30
5/9-10/1929 Yosemite theater opens with talking pictures. The picture shown was “The Younger Generation” with Jean Hersholt.
1929 Charles A. Holland elected to L.A. City Council 29-30
1930 In the early 30's, as automobile traffic became heavier, drivers disliked maneuvering around the pavilion.  Later, during water pipe construction, a bulldozer accidentally crushed the roof.  Town officials decided to remove, rather than repair the structure.  It was necessary to use dynamite to break up the cement floor.  Nearby merchants did very little business during the dismantling.
1930 California History and Landmarks Section of the 20th Century Club founded by Mrs. C.W. Young
ca 1930 Robert Cota reports seeing Chinese troops at shooting range in Glenoaks [now Scholl] canyon. Misses were being credited as bullseyes.
ca 1930 Robert Cota reports that the Eagle Rock city dump was located in a ravine between Loleta & Hartwick just below Hill
12/31/1930 Glendale & Montrose Railroad "dinkey" car service discontinued at midnight
1930 Joe Eastwood purchases Eagle Rock Sentinel
1931 Edward L Thrasher elected to L.A. City Council 31-32
8/1931 Methodist Church and United Church of Christ (Congergational) merge to form the United Church of Eagle Rock. Dr. E.A. Palmer was the first pastor of the newly merged church
8/4/1932 La Paloma performed as part of the Olympiad Celebrations
11/1/1932 Harry A. Lawson and son, D.H. Lawson purchase Eagle Rock Sentinel
1933 Edward L Thrasher elected to L.A. City Council 33-34
2/16/1933 Wynn Chevrolet opens larger quarters at 2254 Colorado Blvd.
1934 through 1936 Colorado Blvd and Eagle Rock Blvd part of Route 66.
6/1/1934 Pioneer Market opens at 1570-72-74 Colorado Blvd.
1935 Edward L. Thrasher elected to L.A. City Council 35-36
5/11/1935 Mrs. Martin Bekins dies. The wife of Martin Bekins founder of Bekins Van and Storage Co. (founded 1895) lived in a beautiful home at 1550 Hill Drive. The home was later sold to Mr. and Mrs. Bill Lane.
1936 Bungalow Church moves to Colorado Blvd. and remodeled as Foursquare Gospel Church
5/10/1936 Eagle Rock Community Church becomes Eagle Rock Community Covenant Church (1649 Yosemite Dr.) Rev. Arvid Carlson was the first Covenant pastor.
1937 Edward L. Thrasher elected to L. A, City Council  37-38
1938 Safeway store erected at 1808 Colorado Blvd.
1939 Edward L. Thrasher elected to L. A, City Council  39-40
1/1939 Eagle Rock's last Rose Parade float
1941 Edward L. Thrasher elected to L. A, City Council  41-42
1943 John C. Holland elected to L.A. City Council 43-44
5/11/1944 Army Mustang warplane crashes in Eagle Rock killing the pilot (LAT) Location was Las Flores and Rockland (Bill Clancy)
1945 John C. Holland elected to L.A. City Council 45-46
1947 John C. Holland elected to L.A. City Council 47-48
1948 Through 1950 Stimson's Lemon Ranch at east end of Valley was subdivided
4/18/1948 Streetcar service cut back to Eagle Rock and Colorado from Townsend.
1949 Boulevard renovations completed between Eagle Rock and Townsend removing trolley tracks.
1949 John C. Holland elected to L.A. City Council 49-50
7/17/1949 Eagle Rock Advertiser ceases publication with Volume #23 Issue #8.
1951 John C. Holland elected to L.A. City Council 51-52
1953 John C. Holland elected to L.A. City Council 53-54
8/18/1953 The Eagle Rock Reservoir, built on the San Rafael Hills, was dedicated
10/7/1953 New Colorado Bridge opens over the Arroyo Seco. Cost $6,400,000.
1954 Eagle Rock Recreation Center Clubhouse opened. The Clubhouse was designed by Richard Neutra one of America’s most distinguished Architects
1955 John C. Holland elected to LA City Council 55-58
1955 Casa Bianca Pizza opens
5/23/1955 Bus takes place of streetcar on Eagle Rock line to Eagle Rock and Colorado.
9/1957 Eagle Rock Sentinel purchased by Northeast Newspapers publisher Oran W. Asa and combined with Eagle Rock News Herald, which was started several years prior. Harry Lawson remains Editor.
1958 Martha Washington Restaurant sold to Attorneys Richard Saulque and Henry Dally who are re –naming it The Barristers Inn.
2/21/1958 Davis Pharmacy opens at 2200 Colorado Blvd. (at Eagle Rock Blvd) Replaces the Bank of America.
1959 Seventh Day Adventist Church completed on Merton Ave. under the leadership of Rev. Elder Lewis Langworthy
1959 John C. Holland elected to L.A. City Council 69-62
1959 Construction begins on Eagle Rock Recreation Center playground improvements. The original design was by noted landscape designer, Garret Eckbo. These improvements cost $150,000 raising the overall expenditure for the park to $465,000 (ERS)
1/1959 Occidental College begins work on Chillcott Hall women's residence. Later in the year construction begins on Willis H. Booth Music and Speech Center.
3/8/1959 L.A. County Supervisors vote 5-0 for the Scholl Canyon dump plan. Glendale and the County split the fees. Use is dedicated to recreation for Glendale. Access road to be built through the area known as Eagle Rock Park. 
8/8/1959 New fire station #42 completed on Colorado Blvd. Replaces old station, which was attached to the Eagle Rock City Hall.
1961 March of Progress Parade celebrates Eagle Rocks' 50th anniversary.
1961 Eagle Rock Blvd. made a State Highway
10/25/1961 Eagle Rock Valley Historical Society (ERVHS) organized
1962 It was reported that all Eagle Rock schools were teaching the "Legend of the Rock."
1962 The Eagle Rock Declared Los Angeles Historic Cultural Monument #10
1963 Oil painting of the Eagle Rock by Jennie C. Brayton presented to the Eagle Rock Library by the people of Eagle Rock. The painting is presently displayed in the Community room.
1963 "Friends of the Eagle Rock Library" organized
3/14/1963 Construction begins on California Federal Savings office building on Eagle Rock Blvd.
1964 John C. Holland elected to L.A. City Council 63-66
3/16/1964 Fire in the hills above Hill Dr. destroys many homes near Dahlia Dr.
1966? Rumford Fair Housing Bill passes desegregating all housing sales in California
1967 Arthur K. Snyder elected to L.A. City Council 67-71
2/26/1969 Eagle Rock¹s City Hall was declared Los Angeles Historic-Cultural Monument #59
2/27/1971 City Hall rededicated by Art Snyder, after refurbishing at the urging of the ERVHS
1971 134 Freeway opened bypassing Colorado Blvd the previous highway route.
1971 Arthur K. Snyder elected to L.A. City Council 71-75
1971 Eagle Rock City Hall rededicated by Art Snyder after refurbishing at the urging of the Eagle Rock Valley Historical Society
1972 Earthquake destroys or renders unsafe many masonry buildings. Presbyterian church demolished as a result.
1973 14th District redrawn to crete a "Hispanic district" and in response to the 1970 census.
1973 Arthur K. Snyder wins recall election for the 14th district L.A. City Council seat.
10/1973 Eagle Rock Plaza opens
1975 Arthur K. Snyder elected to L.A. City Council 75-79
6/1978 2 Freeway opens from the 5 to the 210
1979 Arthur K. Snyder elected to L.A. City Council 79-83
1981 Old Library closed because of non-conformity to code; New Library opens (5027 Caspar Ave.)
1983 Arthur K. Snyder elected to L.A. City Council 83-87
1983 14th District redrawn in response to the 1980 census
1983 Arthur K. Snyder narrowly avoind runoff election against Steve Rodriguez in a recall election for the 14th district L.A. City Council seat
1985 TERA, The Eagle Rock Association founded
1985 Old Library declared a City Cultural Historical Landmark
6/30/1985 Arthur K. Snyder resigns from L.A. City Council
11/1985 Richard Alatorre elected to L.A. City Council remainder of term 85-87. Vacancy created by Snyder’s resignation.
4/1/1986 In response to the threatened destruction of the historic business buildings at the corner of Townsend and Colorado. Kathleen Aberman stands on the building’s roof in an attempt to ward off the surprise demolition by the owner. The present brick faced mini mall subsequently replaced these buildings.
1987 Richard Alatorre elected to LA City Council 87-91
1987 Old Library placed on the National Register Of Historic Places
6/1987 Citywide mini mall moratorium adapted with building on rear lot line as definition of mini mall
3/12/1988 Specific Plan Advisory Committee appointed by Councilman to advise on the writing of the plan by City Planning and the Council Office.
1991 Richard Alatorre elected to L.A. City Council 91-95
7/3/1991 Northeast Newspapers sold by Oran Asa to Community Media Enterprises
8/9/1992 Colorado Blvd Specific Plan passed and adopted by City Council
6/11/1994 City Hall rededicated after seismic upgrade. Historic paint scheme was replicated. Historical Society Museum moves to a room at the rear of the lower floor community events room.
1995 Richard Alatorre elected to L.A. City Council 95-99
1995? Last issue of the Eagle Rock Sentinel
1995 The front half of the Eagle Rock purchased by the City for $669,000
1997 Former Eagle Rock Branch Library rededicated after seismic upgrade as Eagle Rock Community Cultural Center
3/8/1997 Eagle Rock Snapshot Day
1999 Nick Pacheco elected to L.A. City Council 99-03
2002 Eagle Rock Neighborhood Council formed.  Boundaries set for Eagle Rock Neighborhood, they were the largest configuration for Eagle Rock ever.
2003 Antonio Villaraigosa elected to L.A. City Council 03-07
2005 Jose Huizar elected to L.A. City council 05-07 to fill vacancy created by Villariagosa’s election as Mayor




Home Calendar Did You Know? Photo Gallery Notable Eagle Rock People History Useful Links Contact Us
Important Dates Short History


A Short History of Eagle Rock


Early Indian settlers, Spanish explorers and missionaries and Mexican rancho landowners preceded the beginnings of the town of Eagle Rock, a pastoral suburb of the city of Los Angeles in the first years of the 20th century.  Surrounded by hills, the Eagle Rock Valley was a rural respite far removed from the bustling city.  At the time, the Gates Strawberry Ranch, worked by Chinese laborers, covered much of the area, replacing the grazing pastures of the great Ranch San Rafael once owned by the Verdugo family.

Eagle Rock became more than bucolic ranchland with the arrival of the Los Angeles Railway streetcar system in 1906.  The tracks came from downtown Los Angeles along Central Avenue , which is now Eagle Rock Boulevard, and they extended to the intersection of Townsend Avenue and Colorado Street, the heart of town at the time.  Another route came into Eagle Rock from Glendale and featured the “Dinkey” trolley car.  The late single-track “toonerville trolley” was known locally as the “galloping goose” for its swaying movement and occasional track-jumping.  A round waiting station shelter dubbed “the merry-go-round” was built the enter of the Colorado-and-Central intersection and became the social center.

In 1909, Hill Avenue, now Hill Drive, was (and still is) one of Eagle Rock’s most beautiful streets.  Other streets were Roy Drive (now Mt. Royal Dr.), Acacia Street (now Laverna Ave.), Kenilworth Avenue (now Hermosa Ave.), Highland Avenue (now Highland View Ave.), and Fairmont Avenue (now Maywood Ave.).    These streets were dotted with large and expensive homes on wide lots.

Eagle Rock was incorporated as a city in 1911.  Its gentle slopes were dapped with grand Victorian farmhouses, many exquisite Craftsman homes in charming neighborhoods, and Occidental College, designed by Myron Hunt in the Mediterranean revival style and built between 1911 and 1913.  The building boom really came between the wars.  The 1920’s saw an upswing of subdivision and building of “modern” homes, including many in the Spanish colonial revival style and smaller bungalows modified by such prevalent styles as Colonial revival and English Tudor.

May other notable structures had come into being in the early part of the century, such as the Craftsman-style Women’s 20th Century Club, the Eagle Rock Carnegie Library, the WTCU home, various lovely churches, and many attractive brick and stucco commercial  buildings along the main boulevards.  In 1923, not long after the Eagle Rock City Hall was erected, the people of Eagle Rock voted to become part of the City of Los Angeles under the threat of an inadequate water supply and the promise of an upgraded school system.

Later decades brought other architectural styles to Eagle Rock homes and commercial structures, like streamline modern, International, post-war traditional, and mid-century modern.  Diversity still reigns supreme, and it is this eclectic mix of architectural character among large and small homes that has made Eagle Rock a unique and fascinating place while evoking the qualities of small-town America.

Eagle Rock today is filled with culturally rich neighborhoods and is largely a haven for those working in various creative fields.  Our town is being discovered by many working in the nearby entertainment industry and other professionals who yearn for a place with a true sense of community and who cherish a slower pace in an ever fleeting society.  They long for a town with good schools and involved parents, a feeling of shared appreciation for historic significance, and an older commercial district with the vast potential to develop its own unique appeal.

Eagle Rock is the gem located between Pasadena and Glendale, and we are just minutes from the heart of the nation’s entertainment capital and downtown Los Angeles.  We are home to Occidental College, one of our country’s most prestigious liberal arts colleges.  Our schools offer Gifted and Talented Education curricula as well as gifted and highly gifted magn4t programs.  We attend community meetings and actively partake in the furtherance of quality-of-life endeavors.  We stroll our lovely neighborhoods and greet one another in the friendly way of eras past.

Eagle Rock stands as a healthy example of the way a community should be – a place where anyone can feel at home.



© 2007, Eagle Rock Valley Historical Society