Huntington's Eagle Rock Park
The Park Below the Eagle Rock Visible on the left above center is the bridge that led from Eagle Rock to Pasadena. This was the easiest crossing of the highly variable stream seen in the foreground. The stream still flows in the open through the MWD land, under the dump road and behind the commercial buildings on the east side of Figueroa St just below the 134 Freeway exit bridge.
Eagle Rock and picnic grounds
Yosemite Park and the Sylvan Theatre
The Sylvan Theater Built as a WPA project of concrete rubble and other materials it was a beautiful addition to Yosemite Park. It served as a venue for summer theatre programs and Junior High graduations for many years. Revived from vandalism and disuse, it was programmed as a performance space by the Center for the Arts, Eagle Rock, and most recently, for classic Greek drama, Eagle Rock High School.
Eagle Rock Recreation Center
Eagle Rock Recreation Center Clubhouse Rendering 1953 The dream of a park near the rock was fulfilled in 1954 when this clubhouse on a large site across Figueroa from the earlier “park” opened. Richard Neutra’s post and beam building featured a stage that opened to the large gym, an outdoor amphitheatre and a smaller meeting room. The counterweighted walls of the gym could be raised for ventilation. The building was in many ways the culmination of the architect’s classic approach to modern building. Garrett Ekbo designed the grounds which were completed in 1959. (Rendering by R.C. Quale)
Playground Construction. In the upper left sits the Eagle Rock Recreation Center Clubhouse, designed by architect Richard Neutra. Modernist landscape designer Garrett Ekbo, who often worked with Neutra, designed the landscape for this difficult site. This 1959 photograph shows the substantial grading needed to adopt the site for picnic and play areas. The road in the foreground connects Figueroa Street to the old highway bridge behind us. (Photograph by Joe Friezer.)
In 1961, a young crew plants trees on the paved path between the clubhouse and the lower picnic areas. The baseball fields are finished, and the ramp from the 134 freeway to Colorado Boulevard stands in the background. (Photograph by Joe Friezer.)
Day Care, built 2000. In order to take advantage of park bond funding and to move a day care center out of the clubhouse building, this innovative new structure, by Kanner and Associates Architects , was built just to the southwest of the clubhouse. Its playful design, integration of graphics, and indoor-outdoor design were intended to be an homage and reflection of the earlier building. (Author’s photograph.)